How to get rid of spider veins and vascular lesions
Developing spider veins is a common issue, especially as we age. While it’s common, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s something that you want (or have) to live with!
Thankfully, spider vein treatments are more accessible and non-invasive than ever before. Laser treatments are the best way to get rid of spider veins, which are virtually pain-free with little to no downtime.
What Is A Spider Vein?
Spider veins are small red, purple, and blue vessels that affect the capillaries, the body’s smallest blood vessels. They are easily visible through the skin and typically found on the legs or face. Spider veins might appear red, blue, or purple and, as the name suggests, they can take on a spider web-like pattern or a tree branch.
Spider veins do not cause pain or discomfort, and they don’t require medical attention, but they can impact how confident we feel about our skin.
There are several causes of spider veins and other vascular lesions, including:
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time on a regular basis
- Exposure to sunlight
- Pregnancy and hormonal changes
- Injuries and surgeries
How To Get Rid Of Spider Veins With Laser Treatments
Laser treatment for spider veins is non-invasive, virtually pain-free, and requires little to no downtime. What’s not to love about that?
At Smooth Effects Vernon, we use the Candela GentleMax Pro Laser and our clients love how easy the process is and that they see results within a few weeks.
How Does The GentleMax Pro Laser Work For Treating Spider Veins?
The GentleMax Pro Laser is a safe and effective solution that addresses and minimizes the appearance of spider veins without harming the skin or surrounding tissue. The GentleMax Pro Laser heats the vein to shrink it and force it to be reabsorbed by the body. It is a non-surgical treatment and only takes around 30 minutes per session.
Is Spider Vein Laser Treatment Painful?
Spider vein laser treatments are relatively pain-free. You might feel a slight stinging or tingling sensation during your treatment, but it is brief and doesn’t require anesthetic.
How Long Until I See Results From My Spider Vein Treatment?
Immediately after your treatment, you may notice the vascular lesion darken or lighten, both responses are normal. Over the next week or so, the lesions will fade as the body absorbs the residual blood.
How Many Spider Vein Treatments Do I Need?
Depending on the severity of your spider veins and how your body reacts to the treatment, you will likely need 1 - 4 treatments for optimal results.
Pre and Post-Case For Spider Vein Laser Treatments
At Smooth Effects, we have a detailed list of Pre and Post-Care for Spider Vein Removal Treatments.
- Avoid products containing retinol, salicyclic acid, and glycolic acid for 1 week prior to treatment.
- No sun exposure for a minimum of 4 weeks prior to treatment. This treatment cannot be performed on tanned skin.
- You may not be a good candidate for treatment if you have a history of diabetes, poor healing, if you are taking high doses of iron or if you are on blood thinners including Asprin.
- If you have received Botox or fillers in the desired area it is recommended that you wait two weeks post-injections.
- No blood thinners, fish oils, Vitamin E, Asprin, or Ibuprofen 1 week prior to treatment.
- Avoid waxing, laser hair removal, epilation, and electrolysis for a minimum of 1 week prior to your appointment.
- Avoid the use of bleaching agents in the area being treated for at least two weeks. Bleaching agents can compromise the integrity of the skin and cause an adverse reaction.
- Please inform your technician of any new medications, allergies, or supplements.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours (Face) and 3 to 5 days (Legs) after treatment.
- Not hot tub, sauna, steam room, hot showers/baths, or excessive exercise for 48 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid waxing, laser hair removal, epilation, and electrolysis for a minimum of 1 week after to your appointment.
- Limit or forego the consumption of alcohol for 1 week after treatment.
- You may apply ice packs and elevate your legs to decrease discomfort, especially when large areas are treated.
- Avoid direct sun exposure. A minimum of SPF 30 must be used to protect the skin. Look for a product that contains physical blockers like Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide.
- Your leg veins may appear bruised or darker red following treatment. This discoloration will fade over the next few weeks. Brown discoloration may take several months to fade.
- Avoid spicy food for 3 to 5 days after treatment.
Laser Treatments For Spider Veins And Other Vascularity In Kelowna
If you’re wondering how to get rid of spider veins in Kelowna, Smooth Effects is here to help! We are able to treat spider veins as well as other vascular lesions such as: